top of page

Our Free Tax Prep Services will be available for drop off or in-person starting January 23rd. 


CCAV is the leading Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program on the South Plains and provides FREE income tax preparation and e-filing services for families of limited wealth. The VITA Program helps working individuals and families take advantage of all tax credits for which they qualify, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits.


Last year in Lubbock, CCAV had over 120 community volunteers that contributed more than 2,670 hours of service, generating over $4.5 million dollars in tax refunds and helping more than 2,700 individuals and families receive free tax preparation services. Great volunteers are the key to our success. To join, please see the instructions below.


Who is Eligible for VITA services?

Taxpayer Income Eligibility:

Taxpayer Income Eligibility

Family Size         Annual Income
         1                       $33,975
         2                       $45,775
         3                       $56,700         
         4                       $62,950
         5                       $68,000

What do I need to bring to the CCAV VITA Site?

  • Original Social Security or ITIN cards and birthdates for each taxpayer and all dependents

  • Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer

  • ALL W-2 Forms (from every placed worked during the previous year)

  • 1099 Forms (if applicable): 1099-NEC, 1099-Misc, 1099-G Unemployment Benefits, 1099-INT Interest (from your bank), 1099-R Pensions, Annuities, and Retirement

  • Voided check for checking account and/or deposit slip for savings account (if taxpayers want their refund to be deposited directly into their account): Refunds must be mailed to taxpayers who don't have satisfactory verification of their bank account and routing numbers.

  • Other documents (if applicable): Childcare expenses (including provider's address and federal ID), mortgage statements, real estate tax statement, adoption expenses, alimony paid/ received,  IRS notices or state tax office. If itemizing - bring receipts or statements (medical expenses, charitable contributions, etc.)

  • Form 1098-T College tuition or student loan information (including educational expenses).


What is 'Out of Scope' for VITA?

For the protection of all taxpayers, volunteers will only prepare basic income tax returns (for which they are trained) in strict accordance with all IRS rules and regulations (including those pertaining to filing status and dependents).

Volunteers will not prepare the following types of tax returns:

  • Married Filing Separately 

  • Schedule E (Income or Loss from rents, partnerships, S corps, estates, trusts, etc.)

  • Schedule F (Profit or Loss from Farming)

Items to Bring to VITA Site
Out of Scope

What is the Tax Preparation process?

1. Volunteer Tax Preparer will input your information and prepare tax your return           electronically.
2. Your tax return will then be reviewed by a Quality Reviewer. (This requirement is       strictly enforced to ensure that tax returns have been prepared accurately.)
3. The Quality Reviewer will review the return with you.
4. You will sign your return at the CCAV VITA Site. Then your tax return will be e-filed.

     Tax returns cannot be e-filed:

  • Unless all taxpayers sign their return at CCAV's tax prep site

  • If a taxpayer tries to claim a dependent who has already been claimed by another taxpayer

  • if a taxpayer needs, but doesn't have, an ITIN

When can I visit the CCAV VITA Site?

January 23rd- April 18th.

Mon/Tues/Thurs - 4-8pm

Wednesday - 9-3pm

Saturday - 9-3pm



Tax Prep Process
VITA Site Location & Hours

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Will I have my tax return prepared if I show up at the CCAV VITA Site?  Taxes are prepared on a first-come, first-serve basis. If there is a crowd, and you don't have time to wait, feel free to come back and have your return prepared at another time. Waiting lines are much shorter during the month of March.

  • When can I file? TBA

  • When can I file prior, corrected, or amended returns?  March

  • What do I need to do to have my return filed for a small business?  here

  • Where can I retrieve lost W-2 Forms?  here

  • Where can I get a copy of my prior tax returns (transcripts)?  here

bottom of page